Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Back to Kathmandu

We leave Pokhara today for Kathmandu.  It has been a rush to get everything done, every child seen, all letters picked up, literacy ladies matched etc.  I have been trying to change my flight and stay for an extra week but no luck with that, all seats booked. 
The literacy ladies are a delight but it takes a long time to sort them all out and match them.  It took a total of 6 hours.  I was sick for one day so Mann had to take over that job for that day.  The hardest job was that I had only had one private school sponsor for Pokhara and we narrowed it down to 7 little girls and then down to 3 and then to 2.  Finally last night I made a decision at 7 pm.  It was a tough choice but when I walked into the family's little room I knew I had made the right choice.  They were all smiling ear to ear and the room was so poor and small for the 6 family members but it had such a warm feeling.  We already sponsor the eldest girl, Parbati, and she has been asking me to help the family for a couple of years now.  The little sister, Susma, is 6 years old and usually I always have to tell the children to smile for their photo but not her she was just so happy.  It felt really good to be able to give more help to this family.  Sometimes the choices are very hard and I do not often have the chance to look over my shoulder and say or feel that  I did a good job but last night was one of those rare moments when I truly felt good and that I made the right choice without any doubt.

No comments: